Comments for What Is The Minimum Amount Of Documentation Needed For Gambling Losses?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 12, 2011
Gambling Losses for MFJ
by: Steph

When you file as married filing jointly (MFJ), you are combining all of your earnings and itemized deductions. Therefore, you can go ahead and total all of the combined gambling winnings from the two of you as well as to combine all of the gambling losses.

Sep 09, 2011
Gambling Losses
by: Anonymous

What if you are married filing jointly, one spouse has wins in excess of losses and the other spouse has losses in excess of wins. Can I use the my spouse's losses to offset my wins as long as total wins do not exceed losses for both spouses?

Mar 29, 2011
Gambling Loss Documentation
by: Stephanie


Great question.

Per the IRS Pub 17, you mainly need to keep a diary of winnings and losses. You must keep an accurate diary or similar record of your losses and winnings. Your diary should include at least the following information:

1) The date and type of your specific wager or wagering activity.

2) The name and address or location of the gambling establishment.

3) The names of other persons present with you at the gambling establishment.

4) The amount(s) you won or lost.

You may also see the IRS Publication 529 for more information at under forms and publications.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Return to What Is The Minimum Amount Of Documentation Needed For Gambling Losses?.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you every month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.