(Rohnert Park, CA, USA)
Many of my clients have been complaining of feeling overwhelmed by the events influencing their lives right now. Of course there are far too many factors that are beyond our control that are contributing our feeling overwhelmed, like job dis-satisfaction, the recession, the lack of money in our bank and retirement accounts, lack of value in our homes and so on. Therefore, I have been offering ways to help relieve the overwhelming sensation.
The first thing I suggest doing is to work on a positive vision of what you want your life to be like, in addition to setting a clear plan on how you can get there. It is interesting how many times I hear the answer, "I don't know." when asking clients about their goals for the future.
It is easy to wander through just letting life happen to you, all the while wishing that your dreams will come true. But is that really how goals are achieved?
Why should we sit back letting life just happen as it will, when we have the power to set our own goals and the ability to make our goals a reality? Setting goals puts you in control of your own life, and that in turn will help you to change your feeling of being overwhelmed to feeling empowered!
As such, I have decided to share a few simple tricks that I have found to be very helpful in making goal setting even easier and more successful.
1. Write you goals down every day. Just the physical act of writing a goal on paper will help to anchor it firm in your mind. Make sure to concentrate on goals that center on you and not someone else.
2. Make sure your goals are written in positive words. This way your statements will attract only positive things your way. For example, "I will" is preferable to "I will not."
3. It has been noted that the subconscious will only understands things in present time. Therefore, if you concentrate on goals that are going to happen in the future, the subconscious will keep those goals in the future. Because of this, you should always write your goals as if they are already happening or have already happened. You should also prioritize your goals so your subconscious knows what is most important to you now.
4. Be clear and precise when writing your goals so that the subconscious know EXACTLY what you (not someone else) want. Use strong words that will induce emotion. Also, commanding action will help to bring you the energy needed to move forward.
5. Lastly, and most importantly, when writing down your goals, make sure to imagine yourself already doing, being or having the goals that you are setting. This will help to anchor your goals on your subconscious.
I hope that these tips on setting goals, will help to make your dreams a reality. It may take some practice and patience, and you may need to adjust your goals from time to time, but I feel confident that you can and will achieve the goals you set for yourself!
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Articles.
Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you every month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.