Income Tax Alimony Deduction


Income Tax Alimony Deduction

Income Tax Alimony Deduction

How do I claim the income received from alimony and child support from my now newly remarried to me ex husband?

We have petitioned the courts but they continue to pay me. My daughter is 20 yrs old and I still receive child support too!

Comments for Income Tax Alimony Deduction

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 11, 2017
How To Claim Alimony On Income Tax Return
by: Stephanie

Thank you for your question about how you would claim the income received from alimony and child support from your now newly remarried to you ex husband.

As the two of you will now be filing a joint tax return, his deduction and your income reporting requirement will basically wash each other out and so nothing would really need to be done.

Otherwise, you can only deduct alimony not child support. In order to report it, you would add the alimony amount received to Line 21 - Other Income and you would deduct the alimony amount paid on Line 31 - Alimony Paid.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Deductions Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you every month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.