How to File an Income Tax Extension

by Stephanie



There seem to be many more people in need of filing an extension this year.

If you do not think that you will be able to gather all of your tax information in time to have your taxes filed by April 15, 2009, you may choose to file an Application for Automatic Extension of Time, (Form 4868).

This will automatically extend the time you have to file your return until October 15, 2009.

When you file an extension, you will eliminate the late filing penalty. But keep in mind, an extension is not an extension of time to pay your tax liability.

Therefore, you should send in the money along with your extension if you think you are going to owe taxes. This way you can avoid or reduce any underpayment penalties.

TIP: If your return is completed, you are better off filing it even if you are unable to pay the tax due. The IRS will bill you, or you can set up your own payment plan by filing Form 9465.

You can learn more about Forms 4868 and 9465 at

Comments for How to File an Income Tax Extension

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Jun 06, 2009
Good Information
by: Anonymous

Thanks for the information.

I was unaware that filing an extension does not give me an extension of time to pay my tax liability!

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax News Contributions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you every month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.