Unreimbursed Employee Expenses

by Jay
(San Francsico, CA)

I work for a community college and get reimbursed for some of my required travel but other times there is no reimbursement for the travel. At times I might pay $150.00 for a hotel but only get reimbursed $115.00 because that is what they reimburse. (We are not considered government employees so we do not usually have access to government hotel or car rental rates. You usually cannot find a hotel or car rental for what they state is your reimbursement rate.) Can I deduct the $35.00 difference? I have looked at the IRS website and publication 511 but it does not address the difference between the amounts.

Hello Jay,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Any out-of-pocket travel expenses not reimbursed by your company would be deductible as an un-reimbursed employee expense on form 2106. This would then flow through as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.

Please keep in mind it would only end up being a benefit if your itemized deductions total more than your standard deduction as you get to deduct whichever is greater.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.

Like Bookkeeping-Basics.net?