Unemployed Father as Dependent

by Katrina

If my father is unemployed, can I add my unemployed father as my dependent?

If your father is unemployed and you provide over half the cost of living for him, you may very well be able to claim your unemployed father as your dependent on your income tax return.

Please see the IRS Publication 17 for the additional requirements involved with being able to claim your parent as a dependent on your income tax return.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.

Like Bookkeeping-Basics.net?