Travel to Another State to Keep Job

I accepted a job where the company requires me to be in Newark, NJ a week per month because there are no local job that fit my skill set. I kept my residence in Florida and to keep the hotel expense low, I rented a single bedroom apartment and commuted to Florida by plane. The rented apartment needs a bed, internet, utilities and some desk and chair since I work at night as well. The bed was somewhat expensive since I have a very bad lower back (disability documented) and had to buy a special bed.

The company do not reimburse for my travel to Newark but I have to be there a week per month. It's required for me to keep my job. Can I claim these on my taxes for unreimbursed expenses - lodging, plane fares and the meals while I'm up in Newark? I don't always go out to eat but go to grocery stores and prepare my own meals. I have the grocery receipts, can these be included as well?

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.