Tax Debt

by Krista

My soon to be ex-husband and I filed our taxes jointly in 2009. I had surrendered a life insurance policy that year and it added income onto my regular income.

I never received a 1099 for the life insurance policy, therefore didn't claim the extra income, which two years later resulted in an audit and a tax debt.

My husband and I seperated the end of 2010, therefore in 2011, he filed head of household. Can they take his income tax return for this year because we filed jointly the year the debt incurred?

The notices only list my social security number, but he gets copies of everything. They send them to both of us. My concern is that if they do, I am going to be responsible for paying him back what he would have received. (Ouch).

Thanks for any quidance!

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.