Student Loan Payoff Using 529 Plan & Savings Bonds

I used money from a 529 college savings plan for my daughter, and from US savings bonds purchased in my name and my daughter's name, to pay off one of her student loans. Can the interest earned, on either or both, be excluded from income? If so, where do I report it on the 1040?

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.