Redundency Pay

I was made redundant a year ago and given a lump sum. only 20% was paid in tax so I face a tax bill of £10,000. they have now asked me to fill in a self assesement.
I am worried that the sum I was also given a lump sum which my employer said was tax free (£30k) how do I declare this without addinging furthuer to the £10k tax demand they already want?

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.