Proof of Residency

by Dawn

My Nephew lived with me for about nine months in 2011 due to problems at home. I claimed him on my income tax as dependant and for EIC. I filed as Head of Household. I contacted IRS and they verified I could do this.

I filed my taxes and now I am being Audited for the EIC credit They are asking for proof that my Nephew lived with me. Other than a letter from my Landlord, I do not have any proof. He was not sick while with me. He did not attend school while with me, part of the problem at home was that he refused to go to school, so I have nothing from them. My nephew was seventeen at this time. What can I do? Irs says I qualify, but have to prove it.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.