PA and MI

by Keith
(Macomb, MI USA)

I am a legal resident of MI but was transferred to PA March of 2011. Because I cannot and do not want to sell my MI residence I rent an apartment in PA. I return home to MI for 9-10 days each 5-6 weeks. My employer took MI income tax for Jan-March and PA for March through January.

This year I filed a non-resident return. However next year I will perform no duties in MI at all. My employer shows my PA residence on my W2 for my address. Since I will still pay my property taxes in MI, vote in MI, and hold a MI drivers license how should I file state taxes next year?



Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.