New Born Baby to 18 Year Old at Home

by Mike
(Kenton, TN)

I have a daughter that has given birth one day before her 18th birthday in Dec. 09. She has never worked and got a W2. Can she file an income tax form for just herself and her baby. I know we can claim her and the baby on ours but she thinks she is better off and get help from the government.

Hello Mike,

Great question.

If your daughter and newborn are living with you and her earned income is less than $3,500.00 and you provide more than half of their support, then you can claim your daughter and her newborn as dependents on your tax return.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.