My ill Brother

My brother is in need of a liver transplant and my wife and I have moved him into our residence. I take him to all of his AA meetings and doctor visits as well as providing him with a room in our house and meals. How much of our care for him can we write off on our income taxes. We live in Texas. Thanks.

Comments for My ill Brother

Average Rating starstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

May 11, 2011
Claim Brother As Dependent
by: Anonymous

You may be able to claim your brother as a dependent on your income tax return. If so then you should also be able to deduct the cost of AA meetings and doctor visits as a Schedule A deduction.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.