Mistaken State Residency

by L. Massey

I receive a pension from the Federal Government. I used to live in California. We moved in 2009 to Louisiana.
By mistake, our state of residency was NOT updated and therefore California taxes were taken out of the 1099R.
We paid Louisiana state taxes on this income.
Do we have to file California tax forms on the 1099R income, or on the entire W2 income? All W2 income was in Louisiana, not California.
If we can file with California to get this tax amount refunded, must we use the ENTIRE income amount stated on our federal form, or just the income taxed by California?
We have already filed and received a refund from federal, and filed and paid with Louisiana.

To sum up: My state of residency was mistakenly assigned to California, NOT the proper state of Louisiana, for the tax year 2010. California took taxes from my federal retirement income stated on the 1099R.
IF I file taxes with Cal. to hopefully get a refund on those mistakenly taken taxes, do I use my entire reported federal income or just the 1099R amount?

I hope someone has an answer, it's driving me nuts.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.

Like Bookkeeping-Basics.net?