Learning T Accounts

I'm a student and I have a bookkeeping question I have to do a T account the question is If I paid 400 in rent Do I do 2 T accounts 1 for expenses and I'm not sure where the other goes on the chart of accounts.

Comments for Learning T Accounts

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 01, 2012
Paying Rent
by: Anonymous

The two accounts affected would be Cash (an asset), and Rent Expense. Therefore you would debit Rent Expense $400, and you would credit Cash $400.

When you are first learning, expenses can be tricky to understand from a posting perspective. Remember paying Rent is an Expense because it was already used to help run your business. There is, sometimes, a Prepaid Rent account. This is an Asset, not an expense, because it will benefit the business in the FUTURE...it hasn't been "used up" yet like a Rent Expense.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Chart of Accounts Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.

Like Bookkeeping-Basics.net?