International Student

If I am a graduate assistant at a private Florida university, and am paid a certain salary, but must take most of that money and apply towards my tuition (by contract), how much is my taxable income if I only keep a small stipend?

Furthermore, I am from the Caribbean, so if I refuse to pay the amount that I owe the IRS (taxes were not withheld), which is in excess of $1000 for 2011, will they prosecute me? (I leave the US in the fall 2012 after my program is done)

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.