I have a question about insolvency. Do I have to file a tax return if I am insolvent?

Thank you for your insolvency question. If you are required to file a tax return based on the amount of income you made, and you had canceled debt that you would like to exclude due to insolvency then you will need to file a tax return.

To show that you are excluding canceled debt from income under the insolvency exclusion, you would attach Form 982 to your federal income tax return and check the box on line 1b. On line 2, include the smaller of the amount of the debt canceled or the amount by which you were insolvent immediately before the cancellation.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.