Head Of Household

by Anna

My 65 year old brother is unable to work and lives with me. He brings in $776 a month in social security, receives $125 a month in food stamps and dips into a modest annuity to take out $5000 a year. We bought this house last year jointly.

Can I claim head of household, since I work full time and pay most of the bills? Will this affect his ability to get assistance? Does it make a difference that his name is also on the mortgage?

Thanks, Anna

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.

Like Bookkeeping-Basics.net?