Excess Social Security and Self-Employment Income

In 2009 I had two jobs that resulted in excess social security being withheld. I understand how to get a refund for this excess. BUT in October I started my own consulting business and am required to pay self-employment tax of 13.3 percent on my income. Isn't a portion of this (say 6.2%) also excess social security tax? Shouldn't I be able to also ger the refund for that?

The forms don't provide for this and I have searched instructions which don't address it.


Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.

Like Bookkeeping-Basics.net?