Changing Tax Status With Employer To Exempt

by Maureen
(Queens, NY, USA)

I'm considering changing my tax status for a few months with my present full time employer from 2 (married filing jointly) to exempt. My husband is disabled and we need extra money coming in. I want to know is it legal and for how long can I do it for? Also when I file exempt does that stop FICA and Medicare taxes from being taken out of my paycheck, or just the federal income tax? Is there a separate form I should be filling out to stop the FICA and Medicare withholding as well? I assume that I will have to pay back the money that wasn't withheld on my tax return filing in 2011.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.