Can I Deduct Child Care Expenses in Two Different States?

by Jobby
(Beaverton OR)

This question is specifically regarding the filing of STATE taxes

We moved from California to Oregon on Jan 25,2010. We have two kids and spend USD 1007 for child care in CA . For the rest of the year ,we were in OR and didn't spend any money on childcare.
My question is which among the following is correct
1) We can claim the Child Care Expenses in CA return only as the money was actually spend while we were in CA
2) We can calim the Child Care Expenses in OR return only as we residents of OR for most time of the year
3) We can claim the child care expenses in both CA and OR returns as the filing for each state is independant and while filing a State tax return ,we should file as if we were the residents of the state for the whole year .
4) We cannot cliam the Child care expenses in any of the state returns as the money was actually spend in CA and we were residents of OR for most time of the year .

Please HELP
Thank you in advance

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Deductions Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.