Comments for Backdating a Claim for Mortgage Set Up Fee

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 03, 2017
Who Can Claim Tuition Expense
by: Stephanie


Thank you for your question.

You can only claim education deductions for you, your spouse and/or the dependents shown on your tax return.

Since your daughter made over $13,000 and so must file her own tax return, the education credit deduction will have to be filed by your daughter on her tax return rather than yours.

Feb 16, 2012
by: Anonymous

I have a 24 year old daughter who is a full-time student at a private university. I know I can't claim her as a dependent because she has a part-time job and made 13,000 last year. What I am wondering is if I am able to claim her tuition expenses which aside from Financial Aid and scholarships, I paid out of pocket myself (the remainding balance). Her school sent her the 1098-T form, can it only be filed by her?

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Questions.

Return to Backdating a Claim for Mortgage Set Up Fee.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.