Are Federal Income Tax Payments Deductable

by Herbert Gray

I owed 14k to the IRS paid in full in 2011 tax year. Is any of this deductable next year?

Thank you for your federal income tax payment deduction question. Unfortunately, the amount you paid the IRS for prior year taxes is not deductable next year.

However; If you were to pay prior year state income taxes, the amount you paid would be an itemized deduction in the year you paid the taxes.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Income Tax Deductions Questions.

Please subscribe to my monthly newsletter, Bookkeeping Basics E-zine. It tells you each month about the new information that I have added, including some great tips and advice from myself and other Bookkeeping Basics readers.

Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bookkeeping Basics E-Zine.